OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Flight Reports

Old 09-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Club Member

Default Right place at the Right time...

Last Sunday, September 13th, Mert and I towed with John Alden at Wesmar, in conditions that I would compare to Big Wave surfing at "Mavericks"!! It was definitely the most rowdy conditions I've ever seen here in Ohio. After pinning off around 500' from Scootzilla, I managed to lasso a rocket thermal that snatched me up to 5000' in a few short minutes! Before I knew it, the high winds aloft were carrying me over Circleville to begin the most Epic Xc flight of my life!

My vario was making noises I haven't heard since Valle' de Bravo last January. I was hitting 900'+ fpm up, followed by -700' down! It was a wild ride! The thermals made me feel like I was on one of the big coasters at King's Island! My glider demanded my full attention.

My second thermal had me at cloud base 6500' over Circleville. From there, the cloud streets extended Southeast as far as I could see! So, I headed downwind on glide to the next cloud.

Like clockwork, the lift came and the so did the altitude, over and over and over. I circled under a few clouds but often I had to hit the speed bar or steer away to avoid being sucked in. I was making increadible speed and the miles clicked by. I saw a few small aircraft well below me, probably around 3000'.

After 2.5 hours the terrain began to change. I noticed more tree covered hills and a football stadium, perhaps a college. Then I spotted a freeway, which made me start thinking about my retrieve. It would be nice to land near a main road.

So, after several minutes of debating whether I would regret my decision, I decided to exit the cloud street and start my decent. I figured I had already exceeded my expectations for the day and was getting a little hungry and a lot cold!!

I flew another ten miles or so without any significant lift and found a large field next to the freeway. I did a few S-turns and executed a perfect spot landing. I sent my location to Kyle, my good friend, retrieve driver, and new P1, then packed up and waited.

It turns out the college I saw was O.U. in Athens, and I had flown over 75 miles in three hours! What an amazing day!! I landed at about 5pm, 6 miles short of the Ohio/ West Virginia state line but could have gone much farther. I'm guessing probably another 20-30 miles?? Who knows!

Here's a link to my track:

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/1264052

Thanks John, for the tow and Thanks Kyle, for the retrieve and a lovely dinner. I owe you big time!! Thanks Mert for planning the outing and thanks Tucker for the motivation. Seeing you up there near the clouds made me have to fly!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150913_101119.jpg (2.89 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150913_174641.jpg (4.16 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-09-13-18-54-25.jpg (33.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150913_182800.jpg (1.63 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by savant; 09-17-2015 at 09:59 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to savant For This Useful Post:

Old 09-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Shay Ranta

way to go....up and far.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Congrats, Adam!