OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Technical Support

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Club Member

Default GPS madness

Time to reach out to the knowledge base (…that would be y’all):

I’m futzing around with a GPSMAP 76CSx – It’s similar in many fundamental ways to my Colorado, but different in several others. The short story is this: A while back, I downloaded City Nav NT. I expected the program/database to download and install on my computer, but instead the pgm installed the on the device (…there was a large [2G] micro SD installed at the time). I’m not sure that this is installation is correct, but the unit seems to function okay.

The problem I’ve encountered since the download: none of the garmin software – whether resident on my computer (eg mapsource), or online (eg webupdater) - will interface with the device. I keep getting the message: “cannot find or recognize…the device. Make sure the device is attached and turned on…”

I’ve tried everything, including re-updating drivers. And yes, all the obvious stuff is accounted for… the device is on, is attached via USB, and is set to “Garmin” in the interface mode.

…$#@&%!!

It’s been a few days since I fired off an email to Garmin support; I’m still waiting for a response. In the mean time, do any of you GPSMap xxx gurus a have advice???

Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Club Member

Hey Mike, seems that I remember having similar problems with my 76 CS when I downloaded MetroGuide North America to Mapsource. It was a newer version with the road names instead of Rt #. Ohio had went away from rural route numbers and had given every county/township road a name, so when Lesa would try to find me on a XC flight I was giving her Rt #, which was what my GPS was giving me but the road signs she was seeing had names on them(etc. Cr-3 = London Rd)
Don't remember what I did to fix the problem, but you might try in your Mapsource program to make sure you have the right map that is compatible with the GPS map. In the top left hand corner should be a drop box with the available maps you have downloaded. Also in utilities you may have to unlock that particular map and/or provide a unit ID and check the GPS you are using with the find device tab.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Ball For This Useful Post:

Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Club Member

Thx Larry, I'll dig deeper into that possible cause.