OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Flight Reports

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Instructor/Tandems

Default Richmond Dale Saturday 11/8/14

The Saturday afternoon SW 10 to 20 forecast was drawing pilots out if the woodwork. If you got there after 1:00 good luck finding a spot to set up. That should be the first line of this flight report. As it turned out it was only Larry Wright and me working the unusually smooth and buoyant air. Larry launched just before 2:00 and got a couple hours. I got there late, launched around 3:30 and landed an hour later after a one step elevator launch and having a fun flight with Larry and a hawk or two. 800 above for Larry. Easy H2 air. Beautiful afternoon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Alden For This Useful Post:

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Club Member

Good thing there are still some die hard HG pilots using our assets and reporting the results. Would have loved to have been there with you but other plans made and then fell through. Worst of all, Scarlet and Grey beat Green!!!! Go Blue!!!! Oh, we're doomed. Thanks for the report and hope to get some air today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alden View Post
The Saturday afternoon SW 10 to 20 forecast was drawing pilots out if the woodwork. If you got there after 1:00 good luck finding a spot to set up. That should be the first line of this flight report. As it turned out it was only Larry Wright and me working the unusually smooth and buoyant air. Larry launched just before 2:00 and got a couple hours. I got there late, launched around 3:30 and landed an hour later after a one step elevator launch and having a fun flight with Larry and a hawk or two. 800 above for Larry. Easy H2 air. Beautiful afternoon.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Club Member

Default Sunday Flight

As too often happens for me, I was a day late and missed the party! Larry Ball and I, with our better half's in tow, took a shot at the Ridge Sunday. We both arrived at WesMar thinking we would tow there but the wind was strong and we quickly decided to head south and hopefully get some good air time at the ridge. There was sunshine there, something that was well obscured at WesMar. But..... The wind continued to diminish as we headed south. We arrived and quickly set up. The cycles coming in were consistent but not strong by any means. The cross was slightly south and the wind continued to subside. Larry went first and I followed quickly afterwards. Neither of us were able to maintain and were quickly in the LZ, which there were plenty of. As we were wrapping up the tear down we noted a gaggle of buzzards and hawks had come from the back of the Ridge and taunted us to give it another try. Their periodic flapping made us think otherwise! Had a splendid 5 minute flight and a respectable landing. It was a beautiful day and wasn't disappointed in the least. The ridge looks very well manicured and thanks to all who have made the trip and effort to do so.