OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Safety & Know-how

Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Club Member

Not sure if anyone has been through this process and am guessing there are at least a few. Lets see what the BOD has developed in the way of a risk assessment and see how that fits into our insured sites. We should open this forum to the members and get the input from those who have some worthy advice. The Safety Officer position may just be a token role and this entire program (for our Club) should be by proxy. It's up to everyone to keep things and people safe. None of this "it's not my job" crap!!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
El Presidente

Well said Frank. I echo your thought about the safety officer being a token role, much like the president's position. Using as many members as willing to help for the written procedures, and as always EVERYONE for the actual flying day safety.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHassan View Post
So do we have any volunteers to be our first Safety Officer?

Normally I would be happy to take on a job like this but at an along time ago team challenge I was attending, this same question came up and I did volunteer. Needless to say my interpretation of what site flight safety is became another topic of discussion at the end of that TTT TC. Those who do become these safety directors/officers will need instruction in the fine art of...... PC style of correction techniques.

So I'm a NO.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Club Member

My understanding is that all sites, whether insured or not, will need a risk management assessment and plan. It is the Insurance on each individual pilot, provided by USHPA, that has had to pay out so much money this past year, and has the Insurance Company provider saying we all have to do better at flying safely. That is to say, what is your " PLAN " on how to protect "bystanders, onlookers, nonflying public" and others, personal property or public property. In other words, anytime we fly, we need to establish a line that is not to be crossed by the nonflying public so they will not get in our LZ or launch area. If power lines or anything that can be damaged, buildings, vehicles,etc...anything that, if struck by a hang glider or paraglider, or towing equipment, what is our plan to prevent or minimize the possability of an incident/accident, and the claim/lawsuit, that could very well follow.

Kent