OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Technical Support

Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Club Member

Default Wind sock dimensions

Hi all. I've been down a long time but lurking. And well done on how everything is being handled!!! By the way. Did want to attend the meeting but....cash flow dictates these days. Almost made it. Thanks Mr. Mullins for looking after me.

Anyway~~~

I don't know who offered to build the club some wind socks..."BUT!"

I offer this : for me (pit dweller) to supply a brand new "Gauged" windsock (to be disassembled for a pattern) complete with frame and hardware, (also to be dismantled for pattern) and enough Red and White prime Dacron sail cloth (I mean YARDAGE!! and this stuff will really last under the elements) to make as many copies as "YOU" (the slave(s) making the labor offering) are willing to build.

Notice I make no offer to supply framing materials. Though they are simple and easily obtained.

Still interested?

primavera
The Following User Says Thank You to freeeba For This Useful Post:

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Club Member

Hello Tom "The Pit Dweller" Primovera. Hope all is well with you and Karen. Heard you missed the meeting bus by but a few minutes! Sorry you couldn't make it.
Dave Graney has volunteered to make a couple wind socks but is in need of information and material for the task. The club was and is still willing to purchase the socks (or materials to make them) so no need to give things of value away. All is negotiable and in the best interest of the club.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Club Member

I now have everything I offered in hand. (one new regular size sock I think 40" long along with the red and white Dacron) The value of the offered items has already been extracted by myself for self. Balance of same is offered for club consumption or not, as needed or not.

Good windsocks are about $50.00. Hand made ones take more time than value to make but this Dacron material will out last the store bought windsocks, even Hawk's branded ones. One as big as Wes-Mar now flies, may be at much higher cost to buy thus making whole project worthwhile. Once pattern is established MANY can be produced at one time correcting cost to value problem and club will have an inventory for the many new sites we will be opening in the future. your call. Stuff is gathering dust here.

The real value will be given up by Dave G....His time!! I think the whole world is comming around to knowing or realizing producing something you need is the best tactic for moving forward.

Plus buy making socks they can be individualized with our logo or anything else.

As always thank you for this time. primavera

Last edited by freeeba; 02-24-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Club Member

I'm gonna take a stab at this and assume you are willing to provide the needed materials for the two wind socks we are looking to replace. It was decided that we would replace the tattered sock at WesMar with one that would indicate a 6 to 8 MPH wind. It was also decided that the sock for the launch at Richmond dale would be replaced with a sock indicating a 15 MPH wind.
We will need to figure a way to get the materials you are offering into the hands of Dave so he can assemble them into usable wind socks. What say you? I will spring for shipping costs and provide a call tag # and address to ship to that will save a few bucks on shipping. You'd just need to box it up and get it into the hands of either Fex Ex or UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeeba View Post
I now have everything I offered in hand. (one new regular size sock I think 40" long along with the red and white Dacron) The value of the offered items has already been extracted by myself for self. Balance of same is offered for club consumption or not, as needed or not.

Good windsocks are about $50.00. Hand made ones take more time than value to make but this Dacron material will out last the store bought windsocks, even Hawk's branded ones. One as big as Wes-Mar now flies, may be at much higher cost to buy thus making whole project worthwhile. Once pattern is established MANY can be produced at one time correcting cost to value problem and club will have an inventory for the many new sites we will be opening in the future. your call. Stuff is gathering dust here.

The real value will be given up by Dave G....His time!! I think the whole world is comming around to knowing or realizing producing something you need is the best tactic for moving forward.

Plus buy making socks they can be individualized with our logo or anything else.

As always thank you for this time. primavera

Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Club Member

FRANK! Already done figured out logistics. In Dave's realm now...waiting for his decision to go ahead. He will probably post his intentions when he decides what that is. primavera

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
David Graney

Default Windsock / Dave G

Re windsocks , To Tom Primavara I would like to hang your wind sock at the Ridge . If you are willing to ship it to Frank Murphy , Im sure He can get it to Me.

Re WesMar I would like to Replace that windsock with a new one . Im thinking
18" x 96" gauged @ 15 MPH. And a new Ball bearing hoop to hang it on. Cost to the club $85.00 + Tax & shiping.

Thanks Dave G
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Club Member

OK, I get it. Screw production and back to consumerism. Let me know when install is going to happen and I will deliver this sock I have then. Don't forget the sock needed in the LZ at Richmondale.

***Has anyone*** addressed the need for replacing mounting poles in trees for these "ridge" socks? Possibility to install from the earth up this time for easy access? Placing them in more appropriate spots with less wind shadow? ***If so*** I would vote for steel tubing as is there now rather than old glider tubing AND with a mechanism for lowering for maintenance. Poles built including simple tubing yoke hinge with bolts to lock maybe 7 to 8 feet up off surface for security.

Just doing what comes naturally in the pit. Overthinking $#!T. I'm with the majority no matter how bad an individual may piss and moan over a bit of effort to build something permanent with easy access in better locations that we all know is needed.
primavera

Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Club Member

Default Clear communication is important

Not sure everyone is on the same page here. We need a 15 MPH wind sock at the ridge launch. I am okay with the tree mount as it seems to remain safe from curious observers and passerby's. As for the LZ indicators, it was decided that if you fly the ridge you should bring your own LZ indicator(s). The thought here is similar, something more perminent might invite vandalism.
As for WesMar, we discussed replacing that with a sock for 5 to 8 MPH. The current sock is for a higher velocity and is often of little use. The "Club" decided to purchase these socks and Dave volunteered to fabricate them.
I posted something to that effect and suggested that if anyone could help with materials and technical advice for construction, that would be appreciated.
I am not sure where things are currently but am confused! Can anyone clarify?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Club Member

Wasn't at the meeting so just addressing what has not been but has been discussed before. I accept this minimal action. This sock will wind up where it is needed I would imagine.
primavera