OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Technical Support

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM
windsurfer

Default 2-Meter Radio Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in a good 2-Meter radio? I am going to get my technicians license this spring and want to get a radio with all the features I but still simple to use.

Regards,

windsurfer

Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Club Member

Default Radios

Hey Dan,
Hope all is well. I love my Yaesu VX-6. It is submersible and small. With the way some mornings are especially in the spring with condensation I wanted something that I did not have to worry about getting wet.
On another note I have been looking at getting into kite boarding. On those windy days that are not flyable and I have the day already off it would be nice to be able to take advantage of it in some way. Can you help me out. John Alden suggested asking you.
Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
windsurfer

Matt,

I appreciate the input and have been looking at Yaesu radios. I will keep the moisture issue in mind while looking.

As far as kiteboarding goes I can tell you to start on land first to get the hang of handling a kite before hitting the water. I have two traction kites and a land board you are more than welcome to play with to help you decide if it is really for you.

Personally, I recommend going with windsurfing if at all possible. I find it easier to do here in the midwest due to the inconsistent winds. I have sailed at both Alum Creek and Hoover Dam and only saw kiters at Alum Creek. Most kiters are either the younger (college) crowd or ex-windsurfers looking for something new.

If you would like to try windsurfing I can bring some equipment from Illinois and go out to one of the local spots so you can try it out. The winds are especially good in Ohio during the spring and fall. However, like hang gliding, you don't want to start out in high winds - 10 MPH would be a good starting point.

Either way, you will need a wet/semi-dry suit during spring time sailing. You can get away with a shorty from SAM's Club during the rest of the season. You will also want to get a set of booties made for windsurfing/kite boarding to save your feet from sharp rocks and beer tops.

PM me for more info.

Regards,

Dan Johnson