OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Technical Support

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
windsurfer

Default Z5 Harness Adjustment

Does anybody have any advice on how to adjust a Z5 harness in order to get a tighter fit? I lost close to 20lbs over the winter and have a lot of play in my Z5 harness.

I have a large gap between my back/shoulders and the harness now which I am sure creates drag while in the air. I would like to close off this gap and pull in the harness a little in an effort to tune my equipment and reduce drag (if this is possible).

Any feedback is appreciated.

Windsurfer

Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 AM
El Presidente

A harness is one of those things that does not tolerate a very drastic change in body shape.

You can adjust length, but adjusting girth requires a sewing machine and desire to get in a tear things up! ( might be able to pull in a little if your zipper is velcroed in.)

In all honesty I don't think you will notice the gap. Your big ol' melon will block most of the air that would get scooped into the harness.

If you have a storage compartment there you can stuff your glider bag in it to help bulk up the area.

I have the same gap, and my glider bag does a good job of filling the area. There is still a gap there, but I can say I don't feel a very big rush of air into it.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
windsurfer

Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I stuffed my glider and harness bags in the storage compartment the last few times I have flown and still had a sizeable gap. I really don't have the experience nor desire to alter the harness for safetys sake.

From your experience, is there any performance gain in streamlining my gear while flying a Sport 2 at 30MPH or less?

regards,

windsurfer

Last edited by windsurfer; 04-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM
El Presidente

Unless your harness is uncomfortable I would just fly with it.
Not sure what else you are thinking about streamlining. Your instruments look cool in a big pointy carbon fiber pod, but chances are you'll have them turned so there pod puts more surface area into the wind. (I think I'm guilty of that)

Obviously it never hurts to be as streamlined as you can get, but your skills and techniques need to take advantage of that. No need going and getting a streamlined harness if you don't fly heads down with your arms and chin tucked in.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM
windsurfer

Craig,

Thats the kind of feedback I was looking for. I didn't realize the technique that is needed to take advantage of a streamlined harness...that's the reason your'e the prez.

windsurfer