Old 04-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Club Member

J D did you get my email?
The Following User Says Thank You to Young Lady Pilot For This Useful Post:

Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Club Member

Default Wesmar

Hi Guys & Gals.
The field is still to wet to use. Lets hope for a little less rain.
The standing water around the hangars is gone now, but the
ground is still to soft. Not only is the possibility of rutting up
the field, but the take off distance increases.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trike Pilot For This Useful Post:

Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 PM
J.D.

Default Smart Phone VARIO?

So how far have the smart phones and apps come to use as accurate Varios? I've read some mixed opinions on accuracy but mainly due to smart phones not having built in barometer capabilities. Well now some smartphones do have the barometer built in and I've heard some pilots are selling off their vario for an "App". For HG I've read they do just fine? Has anyone tried an App vrs a dedicated Vario? Any thoughts?

Sri, I did some research on the S4 and it certainly appears like it has all the sensors needed for accurate flight info feedback....hmmmm

Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to sdelivera
I've used the s4 side by side with my 6030 and actually prefer the Samsung. Especially being relatively new to soaring I find that my odds are drastically improved when coring thermals. The secret sauce is the bread crumb trail turning red in lift and blue in sink. Essentially it allow me to move my circle until I have lift all the way around

I have to admit that my phone is not as sensitive as a purpose built vario. However I'm not convinced that this is such a bad thing. Regardless of which device I use, I rely more on the initial acceleration to determine if I should turn.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:21 PM
J.D.

Default Galaxy S4 vs Dedicated Vario

So I have the Galaxy S4....Having trouble finding the best "Vario" App combination? Also, what is best for an accurate weather app?

There's so much to choose from my A.D.D. is going insane!

Thanks for your patients and help,

J.D.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Club Member

I'd go with xcsoar for all around excellent glide computer including vario and moving map GPS. If you send me an email I can send you the files you need. For weather one can never have enough. Intellicast does a good job. I've also bookmarked drjack's univiewer which is the more detailed version of weather.nostepper.com after you sign up for a free cookie. METAR Weather and METAM are the other good ones. I also have NOAA on my screen which is locked to local weather.

Depending on how good your battery is you might want to consider a bigger capacity one which are dime a dozen on amazon. Weather apps sucka lot of juice. While you ate at it get battery doctor too so you can optimize baytery performance. Rooting your phone will make it even more efficient so long as you only download apps from reputable sources

In anticipation of your next question, which will no doubt be mounting related, you have a couple of options. One is to get one of those armband type rubberized cases and use Velcro to attach it to the bar. I can get you the name of the type that works of interested. I've ordered a roll bar camera mount with the swivel head which screws into a metal phone mount. It works on paper but I don't have any practical experience with it.

Side note, i find hang gliding to be very therapeutic for ADD/ADHD. Speaking of which, xcsoar also allows you to have various check lists at your finger tips.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Club Member

I finally received my mounting system from amazon.com to mount my phone on the glider .I love it when things work out as planned.

The two part system consists of the following goodies purchased from amazon:

RetiCAM® Smartphone Tripod Mount - Metal Universal Smartphone Tripod Adapter - Standard Size, Black

Gun, Drone, or Bike Quick Zip Mount With Tripod Adapter And Thumb Knob for GoPro Hero 4/3+/3/2/1

This allows me to move my phone out in front of the bar so I can see it a little better while using xcsoar and angle it for optimal viewing with Polaroid lenses.

The best part is that I now also have a fully articulating camera and/or backup camera to boot.