OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Flight Reports

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Friday at Richmond Dale

I don’t see a flight report from the others yet, so I’ll give it a try…

You know you’re desperate for some air time when the little note on the weather forecast web page says “You last visited on 3/4/09 at 0936 UTC.” and you check the clock and its 9:43. So needless to say I was very disappointed when, after watching the weather all week with hopes of Friday being a ridge day, Craig and I both posted that things weren’t looking good enough to burn a vacation day.

Then Mr. Alden stepped in to save the day by posting that he thought it looked good and hoped for some company. That is all I needed to see and within seconds I had IM’d my boss to let him know I would be taking that vacation day after all, or at least ½ of it. 10:00 could not come fast enough, and it became very difficult to focus on any work.

My gear was packed up, and all I needed to do was load my wing and eat a little lunch, so my transition from mild mannered employee to hang glider pilot would have made Clark Kent proud.

Arriving at the LZ I saw Primavera pulling in to set up the wind sock and upon getting out of my truck and scanning launch I noticed someone at the top and assumed it was Craig busily cleaning the debris that had been reported. Shortly thereafter John arrived and after a short chat the three of us headed for the top. There we found not only Craig, but Bob Arnold, a PG & PPG pilot that recently relocated here from KC. Craig and Bob had launch all cleaned up so all that we needed to do was set up our wings and go flying!

The winds were blowing in strong. It always seems stronger to me up on launch, so I’m not sure what it was, but certainly felt stronger than the 16 mph forecast. I think Tom estimated them at closer to 20-25… and it there were strong gusts.

After talking flying for a while, and a couple false alarms, John announced that it was time. Just then we noticed a small white vehicle making its way up the road thru the deep tire tracks left by the logging trucks. Mark had arrived with his wing, and a little more appropriately dressed than his visit on Thursday. We greeted Mark and then began to get suited up while Mark set up his wing.

John made his way to launch and as soon as he was away from the hill was rewarded with a view from well above the ridge.

Tom, Craig, and I reverted to Team Challenge mode and formed a nice line for launch with Bob eagerly helping on the wires.

Tom made his way to the starting point waited for a decent cycle, cleared Bob and began and ended his flight within a few seconds. I did not have a front row view, so I’ll let Tom or Craig provide the details. Tom was not injured, but his wing will need a little “maintenance” prior to flying again.

Craig and I hung out while Bob and Mark helped Tom. The wind was blowing in so strong at that point that I was getting very tired just holding my wing down.

Eventually Craig decided to launch. From my view it was an excellent launch, and looked like he would soon be joining John who was now well above the ridge. Since Mark was still setting up and I decided to wait for a little while and watch/learn how John and Craig worked the ridge. I’m not sure how long it was, but know it was much sooner than I expected, we spotted Craig heading for the LZ.

I had just been thinking of joining them, but was now wondering why Craig had cut his flight short. Was the lift shutting off? …was it too rowdy? I took some more time to evaluate the situation, but decided I was ready to go and, if the lift had shut off, a sledder was better than nothing.

Mark graciously took a break from setting up his wing to help Bob on my wires. After a few minutes and some wise words from Tom, my wing felt very balanced and a cleared Bob and Mark. I had a great launch (from my perspective anyway) and felt I made a very good transition to being in my harness and on the base bar. Unfortunately I found that my zipper pull was wrapped around my scuff guard so I could not zip up. I found good lift, climbed out, and soon was 200’ above launch and climbing.

The lift was not nearly as smooth and consistent as my last flight at Richmond Dale, and often gave me a workout, but I was having a blast and very happy to be flying.

Mark completed setting up his wing and launched. John, Mark, and I then shared the ridge for a while trading altitude and ridge position often. My vario indicated a fairly consistent 250 to 350 over launch for most of my ~ 40 minute flights.

Getting tired of holding my knees up in my unzipped harness, and slowly losing the lift band anyway, I headed for the LZ and set up for the corn field on the side. Not wanting to get too close to the trees or power lines I ended up farther out in the field than I wanted, but not by much. I was expecting a turbulent final, and it was, but not as bad as I was prepared for, and ended with a decent landing.

Mark was next off the ridge and set up for and landed on the dirt road. Our view was obstructed by the trees, but from what we could see it was a good landing… and we soon found out that, given his condition, it was a GREAT landing.

John made a spectacular approach for landing, but used up all the “spectacularness” on the approach and therefore had none left for his landing. That’s all I’ll say about that. (but Craig has pictures )

Just as John was unhooking in the breakdown area, Mark came walking up the dirt road. His walk was more like a stumble, and at first we though he was just joking about how much of a workout he received from the turbulent ridge lift. As John already posted, Mark was not joking, but was having another heart attack. By the grace of God, Bob had his vehicle there in the LZ, and within minutes Bob was rushing Mark off to the hospital.

We broke down our wings, retrieved our vehicles from the top and headed to the hospital to check on Mark. Arriving at the hospital, we found many of his family members were there, and that Mark was currently in surgery.

With nothing more we could do to help Mark, we all headed for Roosters for some dinner.

What a day! It would have been nice to have a happier ending for all, but then again it could have been much worse.

Please keep Mark and his family in your prayers as he recovers.

Johnny D
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny D For This Useful Post:

Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Awesome report, John, thank you!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Nice write up john.
Other than the ending sounds like a great day.
Don't you just love those unexpected GOOD surprizes.
Like you guys I oppted out to save the vacation day but unfortunatly couldn't take advantage of the situation when it turned good.
And again hope mark is doing well and a big shout out to the new guy bob for all his help.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM
El Presidente

Great report John.
My flight ended way to soon! John and I were playing around on the highest peak. I ran farther to the north and found nothing. Turned around and found some serious sink. I thought I would have to land at the cemetary, but the sink relented enough to allow me to get most of the way to the true LZ. I was cursing myself as I carried the wing the rest of the way! John A was still having fun well above the ridge, John D soon found his way up, and Mark followed suit.

In the end the flight time was worth the missed work.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Club Member

Great reports!!! Glad to hear that Thog had Friends around him that could do for him what needed to be done!!! Great Job!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Club Member

Nice report..Please pass on to Mark my thoughts and prayers, and I hope to see a report written by him very soon.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
El Presidente

A few pics I took from friday.

Tom predicting the air hog!

John A and our national bird!

3 Amigo's sharing the sky! (John A, Mark, John D)

John A - Don't try this at home kids!

Or this!

JD setting up a normal approach and landing. (aka the way we all want to do it!)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Club Member

I remember that corn stuble...

Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHassan View Post
That's exactly how I land my T2 more often than not.