OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Technical Support

Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Administrator

I bet it's to get the wrinkles out of the sail. I saw a thread about it on hg.org.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to sdelivera
Yep that's exactly it. I saw the same wrinkles on the LE wing tips on a brand new Sport 2 at Wallaby a couple of weeks ago. The pool noodles cleans most of it up when slipped over the tip wands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal M. View Post
I bet it's to get the wrinkles out of the sail. I saw a thread about it on hg.org.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 AM
El Presidente

Interesting. Is this for cosmetics, performance, or life of sail?

Have you flown with the pool noodles in?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
windsurfer

Craig,

I have to confess I have been using noodles over my Sport 2 wands since early last season. I initially used them to remove the wrinkles. I found that it does make my sail tighter. I am going to contour the noodles this season but I am not sure if that is actually necessary.

I fly with my VG between 3/4 and full all the time, even when thermalling. I have not found any degradation in performance. As a matter of fact, since using the noodles I have had several flights over 2 hrs. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not but just saying.

windsurfer

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Club Member

Default S2 vg

Sri,

Your S2 vg should have a light pull. You certainly have some sort of problem, and if you have inspected and lubricated all of the visible pulleys (main ones, and the single ones at the top and bottom of the down tube), then the problem is, as Craig suggests, most likely in the down tube. Either the pulley is twisted, or the rope has somehow gotten caught in the pulley.

Pete Lehmann

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Club Member

Not for cosmetic reasons but for potential gain in performance. The thought being that a LE which is wrinkled in the way this is not providing lift and is most likely causing addition parasitic drag to boot- at least in theory. What I don't know is how the wing shape is in flight- under load and when providing lift. It could be that it sorts itself out although I kinda doubt it. Once I figure out how to measure polar curves using my 6030 and have the opportunity to do so (smooth air etc) I plan on collect some emperical data with and without noodles.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
El Presidente

Ahh, I suppose I see some benefit, but the amount I think will be so small you'll never notice. The Sport 2 is still a draggy glider even with tight mylar sail.

Not saying don't do it, or it is a bad idea.

I will say the best way I found to improve a glider's performance is to get the dummy hanging onto it to stop degrading it!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Club Member

Wrinkle remover, eh? A facelift of sorts...
I hope WW has weighed in somewhere along the way, perhaps in the hg.org threads. The thought of all yall becoming test pilots for do-it-yourself wing modifications is disconcerting to say the least. Messing with the wing OML (outer mold line), changing local wing aerodynamics, and potentially impacting overall stability, control and handling is non-trivial business (Ask Freeba about his tape-on-the-leading-edges experience!)
I dont know anything about the specific causes of the wrinkles. But unless theres a sail design flaw (..certainly possible), Id almost bet that the sail wrinkles dissappear once the wing structure flexes in response to applied load.
...just sayin.

Last edited by miketest; 04-20-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I have wrinkles in my wing tips. Maybe you can convince me to mount my camera on the kingpost and observe what it does in flight?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Club Member

Yeah the .org has a thread on it, which is where I picked up the suggestion about using pool noodles. Hey if it is on the Internet it has to be correct. No?

I'm kidding, of course...

Seriously though, I've been flying with pool noodles all of last season and haven't noticed any adverse side effects. Additionally I can't see how this could lead to a structural failure since the pool noodle is mostly filling in what would otherwise be empty space, and stays put in flight.

The problem is caused by the drastic change in diameter between the leading edge tube and and the tip wand. The pool noodle simply helps the sail hold its shape better through the transition, which releases most of the wrinkle. Since the pool noodle is quite squishy and the sail is quite tight, the noodle in no way affects the taper of the wing tip- no bulges.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25208