OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Safety & Know-how

Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Club Member

Default Insurance & Risk Management

Hey Pilots!

Your Regional Director here,

I am at the USHPA BOD mtg, and the buzz is all about insurance and risk management. In order to preserve our liability insurance the insurer is asking for a comprehensive risk management plan for all of our sites. The main concern is about spectators getting injured at our sites. There have been a few claims against the organization over the last year that have nearly maxed-out our policy. We are currently hammering out the specific basic elements that will be part of a risk management plan. Much of what is being talked about we already do, but it needs to be made explicit. I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Felipe Amunategui
Region 9 Director

Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
El Presidente

Thnks Filipe.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Club Member

Yes Mike,
There have been substantial claims against the organization for all of the issues you identified. Also, power line strikes with subsequent damage to electrical equipment to nearby residents have resulted in expensive claims. So our insurance carrier has required us to put in place a national effort to manage the risk to spectators. What they are asking are things we already do most of the time. We are working on the details of the risk management plan before release to the membership. It will require a risk assessment and a risk management plan for all sites used by the club, insured or otherwise.
This is very time sensitive. We must have a plan to the insurance carrier within 90 days. Presently we are riding on an extension of the policy. One it expires, if there is no risk management plan in place, the insurance coverage will expire. You can see how this would pretty much end access to all if not most of our sites. I will be giving the region an update through chapter forums.
Thanks for your question, and keep them coming.
Felipe Amunategui
Region 9 Director
The Following User Says Thank You to Felipe For This Useful Post:

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Club Member

Thanks for the follow-up Felipe!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
El Presidente

Rumor has it we will need to have a PG and HG safety officer, and a plan to mitigate spectator risk. Including a policy to reduce the chance of a glider contacting power lines.

During normal tug operation we don't have much issue with the power lines. I know when scooter towing to the west there is a greater risk. A quick idea would be setting a threshold limit where you must land beyond the line.

As far as spectators, we usually do a good job of being aware of pilot and non pilot bystanders. Our operations are pretty safe for those spectating, I think we would just need to write down how we do it.

One example for a foot launch site would be to erect a barrier behind launch that spectators must stay behind. Not sure how feasible that would be for us. As seldome as the hill is used, and as few spectators are around when we do.

Sounds like the USHPA will be passing the dirty details to us, but will mandate a written site safety policy for each insured site.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Club Member

Is this Liability discussion in the same vein as what is happening down in the TTT (Mark Forbes/Rob Dallas comments @BOD meeting) like the $5 million dollar Liability Bond needed for that on site wedding party request by non-member? Are the insurance companies saying their done or that there is not enough participation to make this insurance pay for itself?

$5,000,000.00 Bond for wedding use pass????

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Club Member

Things are in flux now, but we are trying to avoid the self-insurance option at all costs because of the expense. Our attorney will get back to us after communicating with the insurer about our proposed risk management plan. As soon as I have something concrete to report, I will pass it along.

Regards,

Felipe
RD 9

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Club Member

It's becoming a world where there is no personal responsibility and litigation is unlimited. Torte reform will never be on the table with a country run primarily by those of the legal profession and the amount of $$$$ being spent to keep the wheels of litigation well lubricated. I hope that we can find a reasonable solution to this dilemma but I have a bad feeling that the resulting change isn't going to be good.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Club Secretary/Treasurer

An insurance and risk management update was sent out from USHPA today. All USHPA members should have received the update by email, but I've attached it to this post just in case someone didn't receive it. Click (you might need to double click) on the image below to open.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Insurance and Risk Management Update 3-27-12.pdf (85.4 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM
El Presidente

So do we have any volunteers to be our first Safety Officer?