OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Plans to Fly

Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Club Member

Default 08/24/2016

Hey Willie, is the field dry enough that we could possibly fly Monday afternoon?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SBX614
I spoke with Willie and am planning on flying tomorrow (Tuesday).

Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Club Member

Willy just text me that the field is a GO!! I'll be there around 1ish.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Club Member

Flight report from monday: My day started off with a goofy mistake. While setting up and talking to an old friend I hadn't seen in 15 years, (Tom P) I neglected to knot my VG rope and it got pulled up into the down tube. It took Willy and I 30 minutes to remove the down tube and fish a safety wire thru to get it pulled back out. So now I'm frustrated. I finished setting up while Tom prepared to tow first. His tow went flawless, and he appeared to be heading for cloudbase. Willy landed and stated that there was lotsa lift around and warned me about getting sucked up into a cloud. We loaded up, done our hang/bridle check, everything looked great, except Tom was landing! Rats!!

From the moment I left the cart, I knew something was just not right. I expected to get hit from the right because of the light cross, but my left wing kept wanting to lift and bank to the right. I stayed on the tow line to 2700, released and quickly lost 200 feet trying to get the glider to turn to the left. I was basically hanging onto the left downtube and the center of the base bar. I managed to climb to 3500 using this method, but I just wasn't having any fun. I played this game for the next 45 minutes. I was going over and over in my head how/what we could have messed up when we yanked the right downtube. I decided to test the VG, it pulled on smooth as silk and actually improved the right bank problem. By now I was tired and quite concerned about how this thing was gonna land, and even bailed out of a nice thermal to go and set up a nice long straight approach. Fortunately, the landing was uneventful and I was more than ready to be on the ground.

Time for some detective work. The first thing I noticed before I even unhooked was a right side bottom batten sticking out 6 inches. Started a walk around inspection on the left side, everything looked fine. On to the right side. OMG!! My five inboard battens were all unhooked and a couple were even sticking out a few inches. Kinda explained why this thing was flying the way it was.

So how did this happen? I only single loop my battens until after I tension the sail. I then install the two outboard battens and double loop all the battens at one time. Somehow, I managed to double loop the two right tip battens, but neglected to secure the 5 inboard ones.

I'm only confessing this sin in the hopes of reminding everyone of how important a thorough preflight inspection is, especially if you are distracted during your routine setup procedure. I got lucky this time and walked away with nothing more than a good scare.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dencor For This Useful Post: